Jim Alkon is a veteran of the business-to-business media and marketing worlds, with extensive experience on both the business development and content sides. He has run brands and industry publications, increased revenue and profits, breathed new life into titles, repositioned troubled ones, created new content vehicles and revenue sources, improved corporate websites and monetized them effectively, developed and refined social media programs, launched events left and right, initiated customized client initiatives, and created marketing platforms for a variety of
products. But Jim is a writer at heart - whether a blog, white paper, corporate communication, marketing or sales piece, it really doesn't matter as long as he is having fun and companies are benefitting by it.
Some of the brands Jim has influenced:
* CRN International: As Marketing Director, put together their marketing strategy, built their website, created their marketing database, launched social media efforts, wrote blogs, white papers and press releases.
* Collisions Media: Oversaw all marketing for the launch and early growth of CRN's Podcast Division, including projects with Live Nation and Hearst's Car and Driver magazine.
*Just The Right Book Podcast: Set and implemented the marketing plan for this startup podcast, creating website, social media, newsletter, top exposure on iTunes, cross-promotion with other podcasts, engagement with booksellers, publishers, publicists, authors, libraries and reading groups.
* Distraction: Launched the marketing for this podcast that helps people cope in our crazy-busy world and is hosted by New York Times bestselling author and leading ADHD authority Dr. Edward Hallowell.
* Convention Industry Council: Help elevate the stature of CIC's Hall of Leaders and Pacesetter awards programs as well as the overall brand with new strategic initiatives, marketing materials, presentations, website review, scripts and press releases.
* Agenda: Increased profits 20% in first year after acquisition. Built online revenue to $500,000 in 18 months from less than $20,000.
* Global Exchange Events: Jump-started a portfolio of hosted-buyer events in a new market segment, achieving close to 30% of attendee goal in first two months.
* Meeting Professionals International: Spearheaded marketing and educational initiatives to help revive one of MPI's largest chapters - Greater New York (720 members). Oversaw email marketing, social media, member communications,
educational content, event marketing, speaker selection and negotiation, venues and logistics. * Winner: 2013 President's Award. * Winner: 2013 Committee of the Year - Education.
*'What Color Is Your Event?': Strategic consultant on direction of one of the meeting industry's leading books on event design and ROI. Edited and rewrote introductory section.
* Meeting Jobs. Developed marketing strategy and materials to launch increased online advertising program.
* SmartSource Computer & Audio Visual Rentals. Market research and due diligence to evaluate expansion into new markets and size of market opportunity.
* National Speakers Association: Strategic branding and marketing consultant to select members of NSA's New York Chapter.
ALSO: Expo, Event Marketer, Event Design, ProMedia Travel, Front Row DMC, Premier Meetings Exchange, Meeting Professionals International's One+ magazine, American Salon, American Spa, Medical Spa Report, Travel Agent, Film & Video, AV Video Multimedia Producer, Tape Disc Business, Meeting News, Leisure Travel News, Computer Systems News, Electronic Engineering Times, Electronic News, The Buildings Journal, Meeting Mentor, DND Group, DraftSite.com and American Druggist.
What sets Jim apart?
* Forward Thinking. I have been able to recognize changes and trends early, act upon them with appropriate solutions, and deliver those solutions to the marketplace.
* Results. I am determined to help customers achieve their objectives -- being creative and flexible enough to customize the right program for the right client.
* Excellence. I strive to do my job better than anyone else. My titles and brands have energized their audiences and delivered for their customers.
* Fun. I love what I do. And I believe that my passion, enthusiasm and commitment are reflected in my work.
Other success stories:
* Rebuilt an events-industry website as a product search tool, boosting revenue from zero to more than $500,000 in less than two years.
* Got a hotel company to spend $150,000 on a technology supplement that had nothing to do with its business but was crucial to its audience.
* Helped take an event technology company from relative unknown status to a significant industry presence with extensive press coverage, wide-scale participation at industry events, numerous speaking opportunities, and major new lead generation and pipeline expansion.
*Repositioned a weekly travel magazine and website from an outdated news orientation to the concept of helping its readers sell more and sell smarter.
*Gained the lion's share of business from a travel destination by building an online, print and live strategy that associated them with their emphasis on creativity. Developed the industry's first study that measured the effects of creativity on career advancement.
* Recognizing that most corporate meetings occur close to company headquarters, developed a set of regional meeting guides to serve a more local sector (generated $1 million annually).
* Enhanced a beauty products distributor's catalog by creating an upfront editorial section to lock in its readers (netted $315,000 in first year).
* Was able to recognize the early trend toward High Definition and develop an HD supplement that limited advertiser sponsorship to one company per category, thus heightening their interest (worth $150,000 annually).
* Identified changes in the optical disc manufacturing market and re-engineered an aging monthly magazine into a successful newsletter.
* Created a series of live one-day educational events in major cities to help corporations save business travel expenses (brought in $100,000 a year).
* Expanded an event brand's sole trade show and conference offering to two new cities, generating close to $200,000 in first year.